Gary D. Laws

Monday, May 5, 2014

Not Today!

Since retiring, I have learned that it is still necessary, from time to time, to say "Not Today!" to yourself! Well, what do I mean by that? Sometimes we get so busy with commitments we make, that we work ourselves to exhaustion! As a caregiver, I have learned that care-giving is but one responsibility I face. In addition to this very special 'work', you still have to keep up with the housework, shopping, cooking, laundry and so much more. Then there are the outside commitments...perhaps work, volunteering, church and so many more activities.

I always want to be faithful to the responsibilities I have, however, there are times I get out of bed in the morning and have to say, "Not Today!" Today I will rest, recuperate, set many responsibilities aside and just take care of my physical and emotional health. Then, also, I have learned that it is OK to do this!

The problem is you can rarely plan for these occasions of rest. You need them when you need them! They just come, sometimes at the most inopportune times. Whenever they do come, know that it is OK to just 'shut down' and, as a friend recently said, take a "mental health day".

This is especially important to caregivers. You must take care to insure your help to others for years ahead.
Don't be afraid to say, "Not today", whenever it is necessary. That way you will be around much longer to fulfill all of your commitments!

No comments: