Gary D. Laws

Sunday, October 21, 2012

SMALL TOWN CHURCHES

I was born and raised in a big city in upstate New York. It was a great place to live. Since those days I have lived in Chicago, St. Louis and a handful of other big cities. However, most of my ministry years have been spent in the rural Midwest; Illinois, Indiana and Missouri. When it was time to retire, my wife and I returned to New York although now we live on the edge of a very small village northeast of Syracuse, New York on the shores of Oneida Lake. What a joy it is to experience small town living, this time by choice. Often I find myself worshiping at a small United Methodist Church just a few blocks from our retirement community. The church is led by a Pastor who is always cheerful in spirit and, although she is slight in physical stature, she possesses a giant spirit of caring. It can also be said that she is a powerhouse in the pulpit! Her sermons are delivered with a strength that one would associate with a Pastor of a large Metropolitan Church. The sermons are well prepared and very well delivered. They are meaningful. The people are friendly and each Sunday I have attended, almost everyone greeted me and made me feel very welcome. There is an atmosphere that is very much a part of the small town character that surrounds this little country church. I plan on attending as often as circumstances allow. My point in sharing this is to underscore the importance of Christians of every stripe to reach out and welcome those who grace their presence. Sharing the love of God with others always comes easiest when that very love is resident in our lives. You may be a small church but God will do great things with you and your fellow Christians if you but take the time to welcome everyone into your fellowship and demonstrate, personally, the love of Christ.

No comments: